Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Shutterbug websites


The website that called my attention to it was BagNews, I see it is very visual and I easily focus on pictures. The websites intention is to inform an audience on current events through pictures and help readers understand to not be biased because of pictures on other sites. Their goal is to fluidly speak to their reader and help them visualize the truth about a situation and decode a picture for its bias. When I went on the website today I saw that they had written about our world current events including the bushfires in Australia and the assassination of Suleimani. The average reader can see news and pictures that are captivating and the staff at BagNews' opinion on whether the photo is biased. This can help an audience become informed on how to tell whenever a photo is biased in news in order to formulate a true opinion on a situation. I personally would not add this to my bookmarks bar if no one asked me to because I don't frequently read news. I prefer to listen to it because my attention span is quite short. Although I wouldn't use this website much I would recommend it to others who do read a lot of news or look at pictures of news so that they can learn what media bias in photos can look like.

I'd rate the website a 4 out of 5 because it was easy to go through but the content is not incredibly important to me because I read media bias quite well and formulate my own opinion about news and facts quite easily.





Photo: Rev. Karen Clark Ristine. Caption: A nativity scene depicting Jesus, Mary and Joseph as a refugee family separated was displayed Saturday at the Claremont United Methodist Church in California.

I learned from this website to be a bit more mindful with the opinions I form when I look at a picture. I immediately look at a picture when it is provided and it could have some bias in it. For example, in the photo above I think there is a bit of bias. I think it's meant to really grab the attention of conservatives or people who discriminate against refugees by creating a captivating image of separating religious figures. It's not necessarily aimed to captivate all audiences because it uses religion and religious figures to grab the attention of a reader. I understand the message but I do think it's a bit biased. By learning about the picture I can realize not to formulate my opinion as much on the picture and use the news story to understand the photo instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment