Saturday, September 21, 2019

Africa

1. On your blog post your reactions to what you read and what you saw. How about 3-4 sentences.
     This post was very captivating because I love the wildlife and to know that they're disappearing rapidly makes me sad.It makes me want to do something that could ensure the safety of the animals but I don't know where my money goes if I donate it. This website shows an extensive amount of photos of East Africa taken by Nick Brant which evoke feelings from the viewer. 


2. Do a google image search for Nick Brandt, find your favorite photo and post it on your blog.
3. Describe it and tell me why its your favorite.
     This is my favorite because it evokes the most feeling from me. It makes me feel sad that you can see a lot of action in the background and nobody is paying attention to the lion and thinking of his home. It makes me feel as though the lion is watching his home be destroyed and I know that's not a good feeling, so I feel it too.


4. What rules of photography are evident in the photos you selected, be sure to explain the rule to me?
      I'd say that rule of thirds in present in this photo because if you drew a grid over the picture, the lion, which is your subject, would be in the top left corner.


Do a google/wikipedia search for Nick Brandt

5. What kind of camera and lens does he use and why is this important?
     He photographed in black and white without telephoto or zoom lenses, instead, with a Pentax 67II with two fixed lenses. This is important because you know that he had to be close to the animals to capture these pictures, and in such great detail.


6. What is his reason for taking these photos?
     He wanted to evoke an empathetic feeling from the audience to help. But mainly to memorialize the wildlife and beauty of the animals of East Africa which are disappearing rapidly.


7. What is his hope by taking these type of photos?
     To show the audience that animals have the same right as us to live. They should not be killed and should be thought of, like how to protect their ecosystems.

8. Find something he has to say about Africa, and post the quote on your blog. 

     "The photos are my elegy to these beautiful creatures, to this wrenchingly beautiful world that is steadily, tragically vanishing before our eyes."- Nick Brandt


Answer the following questions:

9. What is Brandt's newest focus with his photography?
To show people how fast destruction of wildlife is.



10. What was the process he did to create these new images?
He printed unpublished images that he took, in California, and then mailed them to Kenya. They were put onto plywood and steel frames.



11. What effect do you think his work might have?
I think people will more consciously think of how they are affecting other species on this planet and some may donate to his organization to try to help conserve the wildlife in Africa.



12. How did these new images make you feel? Describe the emotions you felt as you scrolled through them.
These images were captivating but did make me feel sad. It's like being a bystander to someone getting bullied. You don't know how to help but you feel bad because someone is getting hurt. You see the destruction and it makes you feel bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment